AB Hotels Environmental Statement
Environmental concerns and sustainable development are important to AB Hotels. We try to implement environmental practices across all aspects of our business from purchasing policies to pollution and waste prevention. We are committed to providing a quality service in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy place for our employees and guests and minimises the impact on the environment.
We operate in compliance with all relevant legislation and strive to use environmental best practices when we can.
Our goals are to:
- Reduce energy and water consumption by 20% by 2022
Educate and inspire associates and guests to conserve and preserve
To achieve this we have in place the following:
- Promote environmental awareness among our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner
- Our hotels hold staff forum meetings which have set agendas to cover areas of sustainability and the environment
- Business plans at group level include sustainability objectives
- We promote the use of British and local suppliers, producers and manufacturers where possible
- We integrate consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision making activities
RECYCLING & PLASTIC REDUCTION
- Nespresso Capsules - a popular amenity in our rooms and conference facilities, we ensure all of our Nespresso pods are recycled via a regular collection.
- Batteries - We collect used batteries which are then taken away by a special battery recycling company. The purpose of disposing of these products properly means its likely they can be used again, reducing the amount of material waste, but also preventing environmental concerns due to high chances of water and soil contamination if they are not disposed of correctly.
- Paper, glass and cardboard - we make a conscious effort to recycle any waste product from our kitchens, offices and other areas.
- Food waste is separated throughout the business and disposed of independently.
- Toiletries - We have switched over from small throw away plastic bottles to large refillable dispenser in all bedrooms and public areas to reduce the amount of single use plastic required for guest toiletries.
- Low energy lamps are used in all hotels with an ongoing strategy to introduce LED bulbs. LED lights are up to 80% more efficient than traditional lighting.
- All printers are set to double-sided printing and where possible are also only used in black and white.
- We actively encourage guests to reuse linen and towels, particularly long term guests, cutting out the energy and water used to launder them.
- In quieter periods each hotel pro-actively closes bedroom floors and meeting suites.
- Timer switches and dusk till dawn sensors used where possible.
- Energy saving key card system used across all bedrooms for power in the rooms
- New dryers and dishwashers contain the latest heating recovery units for more effective energy use.
- Water saving shower heads across the hotel.
- Shiva Foundation - Shiva foundation is a charitable organisation focusing on hotels and other stakeholders in the hospitality industry. They provide guidance for recommended actions to set up strong processes and protocols to address risk of modern slavery within hotels and supply chains. Shiva has helped us to create internal training and processes to increase awareness and subsequently reduce the risk of modern slavery and human trafficking within our business.
- Room to reward - This scheme allows us to say ‘thank you’ to the hidden heroes in the local area. The aim of Room to Reward is to celebrate the impact certain individuals have on the world at small and large scales, recognising the difference they make and give back a fraction of the time they have selflessly dedicated to helping others. As part of this scheme, we gift Sopwell House rooms or suites to those who selflessly shine, giving them a memorable experience. Whether they choose to use the stay as an opportunity to unwind or celebrate, we hope this gesture will have a positive impact and show thanks for such kindness.
- Wine to Water - Wine to water provides programs committed to supporting life and dignity for all through the power of clean water. We are working with the charity by raising money via our own wine to water scheme. This works by adding a small extra charge to certain wines on our menu of which all proceeds go to the charity. Every wine bottle poured goes towards more clean water for over 300 different communities across the globe.
- Sleep Smart - An innovative fundraising scheme that runs during the festive months of November and December. A voluntary £1 is added to guests’ final room bill. At the end of the campaign, we pass on the total money raised to Sleep Smart, who then use the money raised to support reputable charities locally. This is a great opportunity for our hotel and its guests to give back during a particularly difficult time of the year.
- The Springboard Charity - The proprietor of AB Hotels, Mr A Bejerano, is a patron for the springboard charity who help young people achieve their potential and nurtures unemployed people of any age into work. The charity helps alleviate poverty by supporting disadvantaged and underprivileged people into sustainable employment within hospitality, leisure and tourism.
- Hospitality Action - Hospitality action is a charity who offers assistance to all who work, or have worked within hospitality in the UK. They are always on hand 24/7 to provide help, advice and support whenever times get tough for matters including but not limited to financial advice, bereavement, mental health issues, and drug & substance abuse support. The charity hosts multiple events to raise the funds it needs to enable this level of support and we continue to support these events wherever possible.
- Rennie Grove Hospice Care - Rennie Grove Hospice Care is a local charity to St Albans providing specialist care and support for adults and children with a life-limiting illness in Bucks and west Herts. We support the charity year on year by hosting their annual Question of Sports Charity Dinner, involving 200+ businesses, raising around£30-£40k for the charity. The hotel also gets involved in any corporate campaigns, for example a christmas donation of £500, an amount that covers the cost of a night team for one night, this particular campaign raised £25,000 for the charity in December 2018.